To CE or BU?
Usually you go CE when:
1. Your opponent:
- Has low inherent FP (no problem to be CE vs. italians or partisans).
- Is quite distant but can do stunts to close in and then threatens to kill
you with some special toy (TH-hero, ATMM, PF, DC etc.) in the APh. Here you
will appreciate the better hitting chance while he tries to close in.
- Has tanks which can kill you from front using AP ammo. (Does not matter if
you are CE, the first to hit has the better chance to survive).
- Is far away and you have some height advantage or otherwise good long
- Have good morale (tiger crew, leader, morale 8 crew).
- Have a good tank-leader (otherwise a good tank leader increases the TH
chance that much, that it may be superfluous to risk that guy).
- Plan to use some road-movement (B3.41).
- Have decent cover due to SMOKE or other hindrances.
- Know there will be plenty IF going. This point sounds silly, but there are
scenarios where shooting as much as possible is essential. IF is always OK if
you know your turret will be ripped off anyway. Here the +1 BU especially
- Plan to do a HD maneuver (D4.22).
- Face 2 IFT +3 DRM fire while scooting in a FL of a B11 MG to make it
breakdown. (A9.223) Uh,Oh, not that again! ;-)
- Want to use your AAMG for whatever reason (D1.83).
- Are in an OT vehicle and want to use any weapon other than a bow-mounted
- Want to fire a SMOKE dispenser, and avoiding the +1 Usage DRM is worth the
risk being fired on. (D13.3)
- Want to use your AFV as an INTERDICTOR. (A10.532)
- Are fearless in all situations since you are a lucky dog. :-)
Usually you go not CE when:
1. Your opponent:
- Is US infantry (lots of FP even without SWs).
- Is weak AFV (usually impotent vs. your front, but has decent chance to
make you suffer with HE (A.14A). Just take your time, if there are not too
many enemy AFVs it's no use to hurry, enjoy the action!)
- Enemy is very close -PBF-TPBF- you can use your sN only when BU in CC
- Enemy is quite impotent vs. your tanks due to lack of AT weapons, and
infantry toys vs. tanks (LATW etc.) - call me chinese, it's no use to give
- Is Cpt. Wetzelberger with high ROF weapon - shudder!
- Has very good sniper. (Actually it hurts to lose a tank due to a sniper,
but the gains from being CE often outclass the risks from being shot by a
sniper. Just estimate the chance the sniper will get you, and eat the
inevitable when it happens. This point is very dependent on the counter
density of the scenario).
- Have morale 7 crew (D5.1) and enemy has a 6 FP shot or better.
- Know you will be involved in a gun duel and needing to avoid that +1 DRM
- Plan to OVR a unit bigger than a HS.
- Some OBA is due to arrive soon or some existing one has to be traversed
(C1.51, C1.55 for collateral attack).
- Enemy has high ROF HE weapons (big MTR etc.).
- Want to enter buildings (B23.41).
- Are in an AFV with restricted slow traverse (D1.321), one-man turret
- Plan to make a VBM-freeze (A7.211, A7.212).
- Have inexperienced crews (D3.45).
There are some more occurences where being BU is bad (ambush, CC without
having an sN), etc. but they are sometimes impossible to be planned actively or
being CE is simply not worth the risks.